Monday, January 7, 2008

cats night out



a few weeks ago i left home at night to go to dowaniya at around 8ish. As i was walking to my car i could hear a very loud mewo coming from somewhere in the street. Our neighborhood is inhabited by a rather large number of street cats, so it wasnt unusual to hear them. I unlocked my car and stopped my feet on the ground so to scar away anything that might be sitting under the car so i wouldnt accidentally squish them to death. So i get in the car, but i still can hear the cats mewo so i looked around to see if she was close to any of the wheels...nothing. I turn on my engine and the sound fades away. On my way i had the radio on high, therefore i couldnt possibly listen to anything coming from outside. On the way i stopped at a traffic signal when i saw a friend in the car next to me. I roll down my window and we chat a bit. The light turns green and we say g'bye, but before i roll up my window and blast the radio i hear a very clear mewo coming from under my car. Thats when i figured that the noise wasnt from under the car, but it was coming from inside the car! I couldnt stop right there, so for the next 5 minutes all i could hear was the loud mewo. When i finally got there i stopped and got out of the car. The sound had completely stopped by then. I popped the hood, but nothing, i looked under the car, still nothing. No sound. I thought that it either fell out on the road or just jumped out as soon as i stopped. So i go in the dowaniya and hang. 4 hours later i get back into the car and head home. And what do you think i heard along the way? The cats mewo! Still somewhere inside the car. When i finally get home i get a flash light and turn the car inside out looking for the cat. This time she didnt stop her cries, so i followed it until i saw a small head peeping from under the axle in a small pocket of plastic and metal. I try to reach and grab the cat to get it out of there but every time my hand came close, the cat went deeper inside. So i flashed a light towards where it could get out and waited. A few seconds later she slowly began to crawl out. Eventually she gathered the courage to jump out of the car completely. What i saw was the tiniest smallest little kitten ever who had the trip of a life time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They crawl in trying to get warm, and then when the car gets going, they get to hot and miow loudly. Thank God your tiny little kittie survived - some don't. It was good of you to step back and shine your light so she could get out.

bored said...

yeah some unfortunatly just die in there, though it never happened to me, hopefully it never will

Desert Girl said...

Yeah, thank God the cat wasn't in the engine. I had the misfortune of killing a kitten that had crawled into the engine compartment on a cold night several years ago. It still upsets me. Now, I try to make noise before turning the car on.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww you should have taken a pic.. Thank god it was still Alive!

Anonymous said...

Poor thing it wanted to get warm!
Get this..2 years ago..my father noticed a horrible smell whenever he turned on the car and he couldn't know the reason until several days later they found a dead cat inside the engine or something of that sort..you're quite lucky yours had an adventure instead of a tragic death 00;

bored said...

desert girl: i do that too, but it only helps if they are under the car, if they're in it thats another problem!

rashisha: i would have but it was too dark ;p

kaileena: thats a bad story ;p yeah someone told me about the smell thing, and i wanted to avoid that at any cost